[OKGIS] RE: [general_member] Teaching in Prison

  • From: "Robert Stokes" <robert-stokes@cherokee.org>
  • To: <general_member@lists3.surveyssay.com>
  • Cc: Oklahoma GIS Community <okgis@gis.gis.ou.edu>
  • Subject: [OKGIS] RE: [general_member] Teaching in Prison
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 13:52:01 -0600

I used to work for an engineering consulting firm in Florida and we contracted with a water district (Southwest Florida Water Management District) that obtained GIS data from a contractor in a prison system. As it allegedly worked, the prisoners digitized spot elevations and contours from topo maps and we in turn used this data to develop pre-condition hydraulic/hydrologic models. We took those terrain/elevation models and only had to do updates for the developed areas, which saved us tons of time, and in turn dollars. I think teaching these types of skills could be extremely beneficial to some GIS entrepreneur out there. The data was good and I imagine it was pretty cheap. Imagine all the types of data that need to be developed and that no one has the staff or resources to perform! I cant’ think of many better ways to repay your debt to society and learn a valuable skill in today’s marketplace. Something for everyone to think about…

Robert Stokes
GIS Administrator

Cherokee Nation GeoData Center
P.O. Box 948