RE: [okgis] Visualization of Elevation and Slope Data

  • From: "S. Jerrod Smith" <sjsmith AT usgs.gov>
  • To: okgis AT gis.ou.edu
  • Subject: RE: [okgis] Visualization of Elevation and Slope Data
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 09:55:55 -0600

To use "Create Profile Graph" in 3D Analyst, you'll need a 3D line.

The best way to do this, especially if you plan to do this for many profiles, is to get a DEM of your area and transfer the z from the DEM to the line. Here's the procedure:

  • Create one line per profile. As an example, I made a line graphic and converted the Graphic to Shape using XTools.
  • Use "Convert Features to 3D" (3D Analyst\Convert\Features to 3D) on your line, pointing to the dem for heights.
  • Select a 3D line feature
  • Click on "Create Profile Graph." I think these results can be exported as a text file for input into spreadsheet software by right clicking on the profile graphic.

Here's a sample of the results:

Elevation is on the y axis and length along line in the digitized direction is on the x axis.

S. Jerrod Smith
USGS-WRD
202 NW 66th, Building 7
Oklahoma City, OK  73116