[okgis] ArcGIS TIFF Images cannot be read in other software - solid black output

  • From: "Charles Brady III" <CBrady AT ardmorecity.org>
  • To: <okgis AT gis.ou.edu>
  • Subject: [okgis] ArcGIS TIFF Images cannot be read in other software - solid black output
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 11:56:44 -0500

Just a quick note showing an easy fix to an issue that has randomly popped up over the years for me.

I am still running ArcGIS 9.2 & I think this may have been resolved in later versions. Wish I would have modified this along time ago. Always just side stepped the problem with Raster Design but finally had a project that warranted an answer.

Hope someone can benefit from this.

Problem:

Exporting TIFF images out of ArcGIS produces images that ArcGIS can see just fine but come into most other imaging software programs as solid black. Apparently it is the tiled tiff that is the problem.

Solution:

1. Close all ArcGIS applications.

2. Open the registry, and navigate to the following location:

      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESRI\Raster\Preferences

3. Right-click and select New > String Value.

4. Change the name to  -  tiff.create_tiled_images

5. Right-click on the string value and select Modify.

6. Enter 'false' for the value.

      The value displays in the registry editor.

7. New TIFF images created in ArcGIS 9.2 can now be used in Workstation and other software that cannot read tiled-TIFFs.

      To create tiled-TIFF files again, delete the registry key that is created, or set the value to be 'true'.

Here is the link to the online article if you would like all the disclaimers & such:

http://resources.arcgis.com/content/kbase?fa=articleShow&d=30511

Charles Brady III, GISP

G.I.S. Coordinator

23 S. Washington

City of Ardmore, OK

73401

(580) 221-2541

cbrady AT ardmorecity.org

http://ardmoregis.ardmorecity.org

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE.. This message and any included attachments are intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is intended and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. Unauthorized forwarding, printing, copying, distribution, or use of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please promptly delete this message and notify me of the error.

  • [okgis] ArcGIS TIFF Images cannot be read in other software - solid black output, Charles Brady III, 08/20/2010