[okgis] Oil and Gas Wells in Oklahoma (lat/long)

  • From: Richard McMains <RichardMcMains AT tsdudley.com>
  • To: "okgis AT gis.ou.edu" <okgis AT gis.ou.edu>
  • Subject: [okgis] Oil and Gas Wells in Oklahoma (lat/long)
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 08:45:40 -0600
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

Good Morning GISers,

I am embarking on a project that requires me to plot oil and gas wells by using the

longitude and latitude coordinates.  I have in the past been able to down master lists in

a spreadsheet format of oil and gas wells from surrounding states oil and gas division

of the corporation commission.  These master lists contain the longitude and latitude which

could use to plot the well locations.  However, the Oklahoma Corporation Commission does

not have the same type of information available.  Yesterday I spoke to an OCC IT person

yesterday who informed me “there is a master list for all the wells in Oklahoma; but it has

506 columns and it is large file”.  I attempted to open this file, when unzipped it is 863 MB in

text format.  The size and number of columns greatly exceeds any software I have

available to open it, including Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access.

Does anyone know where I can obtain the latitude and longitude coordinates for

oil and gas wells in Oklahoma?

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration on my behalf.

Regards,

Richard

Richard McMains, RPL

(Landman/Cartographer)

5925 North Robinson Avenue

Oklahoma City, OK  73118

Phone: (405) 848-4649, xt 2248

email: richardmcmains AT tsdudley.com

drawing tools

Notice: This email message and any files transmitted with it, are intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary, privileged, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained in this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this email message in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety.    Thank you.