RE: [okgis] Accuracy Problem

  • From: "Tripp Corbin" <tcorbin AT egisassociates.com>
  • To: <okgis AT gis.ou.edu>
  • Subject: RE: [okgis] Accuracy Problem
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 17:32:18 -0400

Miles,
The issue is most likely being caused by differing accuracy levels between
the various datasets you are using. Just because your collected points are
aligning better with the Google imagery doesn't mean it is more accurate.
Google acquires imagery from a multitude of sources as does Esri and Bing.
Where are the images you are using in ArcGIS coming from? Are they NAIP
aerials or from some other locations? What type of GPS did you use to
collect your data? Was it a recreational grade unit which is plus or minus
15 feet on average or a mapping grade unit which is typically sub-meter?

If you are confident your GPS points are accurate, you can use the
Georeferencing Toolbar in ArcGIS to try and rectify your aerials to your GPS
points if they are coming from a local source. You may need to convert them
to a JPG, TIFF or IMG if they are a SID or ECW.

eGIS Associates, Inc.
tcorbin AT egisassociates.com
| www.egisassociates.com
678-710-9710 ext 21 | 866-304-3864 Fax
Esri Certified Desktop Associate | Esri Certified Enterprise System Design
Associate